Wednesday, September 7, 2011

...'Good Mom' cont'd (by Sarah)

I don't have alot of time to blog--in fact, I've already wasted half of Ava's nap just puttering around looking at DIY projects for my sister's birthday. So I need to get my booty in gear! :)
So I'll say what I mean quickly: I very much dislike the term 'Good Mom,' even though it consistently shows up in my vocabulary. I don't like it because it, like the phrase 'good baby' connotates that if there is a good mom, there's also a bad mom.
I hate the idea of there being an option of being a 'bad mom,' because I fear that it's me. I fear that I'm the bad mom. That I don't cut it. Of course, I realize that some moms are really not putting in the effort that they should, and that's called neglect. But I'm talking about doing your best, but still wondering if I'm not really cut out for this job, not really cut out to 'be a mom' in who I am.
This thought came to me one night while I was talking to my husband...I can't even remember what we were talking about, but as we were talking, the thought came to me through a completely different line of conversation, that I am annointed to be Ava's mom. It's not about whether or not I can prove to the world, and more importantly, to myself, that I'm not a fraud, that I'm actually a 'good mom.' It's about the reality that God has chosen me to be her mom. And with that selecting comes empowering...I have all that I need to be a good mom to Ava. It comes to me through all the 'blessings of the heavenly realms' that are mine in Christ Jesus. I don't have to keep wondering if I'm a good mom or a crappy mom. I'm the exact mom that Ava needs, and I have all I need, in Christ. All I have to do is lean into Him in the midst of my mothering moments, and I'll be a 'good mom.'
I hope I can remember this as I go through my days with Ava. That there's a special annointing on my life to be specifically her mom. And I'm exactly what she needs.
(I think the same principle applies to husbands and wives...I'll explain in a later blog what I mean- I think it's a huge point to call women to be submissive to their husbands...it's a cool thought!)

No comments:

Post a Comment